Time to bare our tanned arms now that the sun has finally come out. Simply put, nobody ever has bad shoulders. The Summer Dress: the very words conjure up holidays and hot days in the garden. Even sitting out on the street with a cold glass of wine for an idle July weekend lunch calls for a dress. The simple shift dress has chic that has never been improved upon; it’s a look that suits all figures, heights and ages. If you want to hide your arms carry a cute cotton cardigan, like the Winser London Chevron one now only £49.
1. The Cotton Textured Shift Dress, which is available in white, vintage rose and chambray blue,
£75 NOW £39, and the Cotton Textured Striped Dress (love this, as shown above), £79 NOW £49. These two dresses are short-ish and snappy.
2. The Parisian Striped Dress,
£99 NOW £49, is in a soft jersey fabric, with a little added stretch for comfort, and is a tad longer.
3. A real wrap dress in cotton jersey is so now, yet has a real 50s dash with its statement pockets and nifty stripes. This could be one for taller girls, wear it with espadrilles for a retro look. Cotton Wrap Jersey Dress, shown below, £125.
4. With the same design vibe, the Cotton Poplin Deep V Mesh Dress has a deep V filled in with stretch mesh. This is one for a wedding or garden party. The dress is available in moonlight or white,
£175 NOW £155.
5. The Bridget V Neck Jersey Dress at £79 in black, ivory or moonlight, shown below, is my go-to dress. This is my travelling dress even if it’s just a car ride, an at-home dress, picnic dress… well you get the idea. Over a swimsuit, with interesting costume jewellery or a printed scarf, I defy anyone to not find the Bridget a useful discovery. Evening dressing in the summer is a lovely moment to show those tanned shoulders, buffed with a bit a sheen. And at such an amazing price too!
6. The Rose Jersey Long Dress is a snip at £125, and I like it most in the midnight colour. This is a real dinner-at-the-villa dress, team with sandals and have a bright cashmere on hand just in case a chill sets in at midnight.
7. In a more party mood, the Sleeveless Macramé Dress, £135, is a simple shift to the knee with slightly cutaway shoulders and high neck, enhanced by a sexy tasseled macramé front panel. Nutmeg is a fabulous colour for summer evenings and is a good match with a tan, so is my first choice. Also in Black and Ivory.
By Vanessa de Lisle - www.thefashioncupboard.com